Sunday, April 17, 2011

72 hour Kits

I finally got on the food storage/save for a rainy day band wagon and decided Clark and I at least needed 72 hours kits and water storage. So after work last week, I stopped by the store and got all the supplies to make the kits. For FHE, Clark and I organized and put our kits together.
Now all I have to do is remember to change the food out when before it reaches the expiration date. Did you know tuna in the bags are good for almost 2 years! Seriously, that's crazy, but great for me.
Next step, making dried fruit. I borrowed a food dehydrator from a friend. Clark and I cut up apples for FHE this past week and dried the fruit over night. My intent was to add the dried fruit to our kits, but Clark and I liked the dried apples so much we ate all the fruit by the end of the next day, oops. I went shopping for more fruit yesterday and stuck bananas, apples and mangoes in last night. I was hoping the mangoes would turn out as good as the Costco mangoes, but not even close. They were just ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment