Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The BEST. Worst. Day ever

I decided I was going to be brave and take Connor to the beach by myself. I had invited a few people, but nobody could go, so I packed the car and off we went.
It was beautiful. 70s and a little breeze. We practically had the whole beach to ourselves.
I was trying so hard to just be fun and let him be a kid. We were running around playing beach soccer, running up as close to the waves as possible, and then running away before they got us.
Connor was just happy and so was I. We were walking down the beach and he was just holding my hand... Seriously melted my heart.




Connor ate ALL of the food I brought within the first hour (with lots of sand of course), so that was unfortunate, for both of us, but we were having a great time. 


By noon though, it was getting really windy and kind of cold. So we packed everything up and walked back to the car. Went through the bags, and no keys. Panic, deep breathe... OK look again. Oh maybe they dropped out where we were sitting. Ya no, not there either.
So then I spent the next hour or so thinking in my mind where they could possibly be, praying, and chasing Connor, all why trying not to freak out. So then I texted Clark and expressed to him my dilemma... No help. He's at work until 4 (thankfully an easier shift that day!).
Emptied my bags a few more hundred times, prayed a thousand more times, until I realized, welp I'm stuck. So I went back to the sand, set up the umbrella to block the wind and contemplated the day and how awesome it was.
I sadly then was just mad. I just wanted Connor to sit under the umbrella and play in the sand. I was done chasing him around. The tears came for a quick second, but I knew I needed to figure out how the crap I was going to get home.
This beach was about 45 minutes from home, it's kind of remote so no food/water/toilets, nothin. Problem, my child was going to be starving in an hour and I have nothing but nasty, slimy, sand filled grapes left.
I kept texting Clark to see if he could get off early, but deep down I knew that wasn't going to happen. So I just hoped he would get off at least on time. I figured out a friend's car he could borrow after work to come and get me. So after that, was just the waiting game.
I finally convinced Connor to take a nap, but it was super windy and hot, and he was laying in the sand, so that lasted 30 minutes. And just as expected, he woke up starving and grumpy. Then the tears really started coming, I felt like a horrible parent. I knew I was burnt and was just hoping Connor wasn't. I was starving, so I knew Connor was, and we still had at least another hour before Clark could rescue us.


We walked back to the car and Connor started freaking out and trying to get in the car, I'm sure so confused on why we weren't leaving. I kept trying to get him to sit on this bench in the shade, but he was not having it.

Clark finally showed up a little after five. He looked around all over that beach for a good 30+ minutes with no luck.
I started driving home and got stopped by wild turkeys

Then we stopped at Wendy's to feed my child :) I even let him have root beer (which I never do). I felt like a terrible mother. I could see his feet were burned and one arm. We just sat in the car together and ate french fries, chicken nuggets and root beer. He then stood up and gave me a hug. He still liked me and I was so thankful for that!


We came home and had baths, then went to bed. Although I didn't sleep, it was way too hot in my apartment (no a/c) and I was burnt, burnt, burnt. My shoulders and back were pretty crispy. I am a side sleeper, so I couldn't do that. It's starting to hurt on my stomach to sleep now and sleeping on my back is just so uncomfortable. Blah :(
In the morning I was thinking about all the things I needed to do to fix yesterday's dumb mistake. I had to get new house and car keys, church keys, then figure out what rewards cards and whatever what I had on my keys. I was to tired last night to unpack stuff from the beach, so I was going to do that first. I dumped all the contents of my bag, and low and behold look what I found.... 


Connor saw them and shouted KEYS! I didn't know if I should be angry or happy. My stupidity cost me 5 extra painful hours at the beach and burtness. Ew!

No comments:

Post a Comment